Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

T-Shirt Quilt

I'm working on my first t-shirt quilt. Last year, I attempted a t-shirt scarf. It was a floppy failure. My mistake was not using an interfacing to give the material some structure. Stretchy jersey knit is not easy to sew. Adding a light weight fusible interfacing has not fully fused to the t-shirt material but it's holding well enough that the fabric doesn't stretch too much while sewing.

There is a striped 100% cotton fabric in between the rows. This made the quilt larger (without waiting for additional t-shirts) and adds to the structural integrity.

Right now I'm about half way done. Pictures will be available soon!

1 comment:

  1. Fabric Garden has been open for several months in Town and Country. Since you are into quilting you should check it out when you are over this way. It's on the opposite side of the wing where The Paper Garden Boutique is located. Quilts and quilt construction have always interested me but making them, not so much. Would love to see this when you are done!
    Waiting for T's? Now, aren't you getting the t-shits from the thrift stores? My friend, Angela Daniels (AKA "The Guilty Crafter" on You Tube)does all kinds of cool stuff with thrift shop T's.

    ReplyDelete